Carlingford Brewing Company
The Old Mill
Riverstown
County Louth

 

THE THOLSEL GATE



The town of Carlingford dates back approximately 800 years. It was a prosperous location during the 14th, 15th and 16th centuries. Historians estimate The Tholsel or "town-gate" was built around 1450 on the original medieval boundary of the town. It is still the entrance to the main street.

The Tholsel in the past, was a tollgate which was used for collecting tax from traders in the neigbouring area who wanted to sell their goods in the affluent town.

The wars of the 17th century had a debilitating effect on Carlingford and The Tholsel became the town gaol in the 18th century.

Originally three stories high, The Tholsel was altered during the 19th century. In 1834 it was used by the Corporation of Carlingford for meetings and a Parliament.

Nowadays, it is one of the few remaining examples of town gates left in Ireland and is one of many magnificent landmarks in the beautiful town of Carlingford.

Its legacy also lives on in our Tholsel Blonde beer.